Financial Education Specialist (PART-TIME)
Salary: $18-$20 per hour (16-20 hours average worked per week).
Location: Northern area of West Virginia including the Northern Panhandle, North Central, and Eastern Panhandle regions of the state. (Coverage counties may include, but are not limited to Hancock, Brooke, Ohio, Marshall, Wetzel, Tyler, Doddridge, Harrison, Marion, Taylor, Barbour, Monongalia, Preston, Tucker, Grant, Hardy, Mineral, Hampshire, Morgan, Berkeley, and Jefferson.)
Job Type: Part-Time Temporary; Not in the Classified Service; FLSA: Non-Exempt
Division: Marketing and Financial Education
Reports To: Deputy Treasurer of Marketing and Financial Education
Nature of Work:
Under general supervision, this position is responsible for ensuring that the State Treasurer’s Office (STO) provides free financial education resources and activities to children and adults around the state. This position will facilitate the State Treasurer’s “Get a Life” financial education activity at middle schools and high schools in the northern region of the state. This position will also provide to students and community members resources on the State Treasurer’s savings programs which include the SMART529 Educational Savings Program and the Jumpstart Savings Program. This position requires the ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with community members, business leaders, and school personnel in assigned West Virginia counties.
- Schedule and facilitate “Get a Life” activities at schools and other locations in the designated northern regions of West Virginia
- Work with STO Local Government Specialists and school systems in West Virginia to promote “Get a Life”, SMART529, Jumpstart Savings and other STO programs
- Organizing community volunteers for “Get a Life” activities
- Promote STO financial literacy programs through community outreach
- Attend local meetings on behalf of the STO to educate the public about financial literacy and “Get a Life”
- Perform a variety of organizational tasks including general filing, scanning documents, maintaining records, submitting travel reimbursements, etc.
- Draft letters, prepare mailings and perform other correspondence
- Assist Deputy Treasurer as needed
- Assist with special projects as needed
- Notify Deputy Treasurer when potential problems arise
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Deputy Treasurer
- In-state travel required; overnight travel is occasionally required
Graduation from a standard four-year high school or the equivalent required; Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university preferred; or four years related experience and/or training. Background in education or teaching strongly preferred.
Must possess a valid driver’s license at the time of hire and must maintain such for duration of employment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Skill in communicating effectively to students, instructors, volunteers, administrators, and public officials
- Skill in organizing material, information, and volunteers in a systematic way to optimize efficiency and minimize duplication of effort
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Ability to work independently and follow through on assignments
- Ability to create and develop educational and instructional materials effectively
HOW TO APPLY: Email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 15, 2022.
This job opportunity is not in the classified service and is
not covered under the Administrative Rule of the WV Division of
Personnel. Therefore, interested persons must apply directly to the
hiring agency as indicated above.